Designed by Boulder architect George King in 1877 for Willamette Arnett and built at a cost of $4,000, nearly double the cost of surrounding houses. The cast-iron fence cost an additional $1,500 and was brought to Boulder from Omaha by ox-cart. In 1914, Mrs. Hiram Fuller purchased the house. It was later used as a rental property and fell into disrepair. Fuller’s son renovated the property in the 1960s.
In 1990, the house was landmarked. In 1993 the house was put up for public auction. Historic Boulder purchases it with revolving loan funds. Later in 1994, the iron fence and the tackhouse were also landmarked. Historic Boulder rehabilitated the house and it served as our offices for twelve years.
In 2005, Historic Boulder sold the house to preservation-minded owners, who restored the tower and returned the house to its former glory. Historic Boulder holds covenants on both the exterior and interior of the house, as well a view easement on the garden lot to the west of the house.
The proceeds from the sale are placed into an endowment and the revolving loan fund, which enabled Historic Boulder to save the Hannah Barker House several years later.