The town of Valmont came into being to serve as a vital supply center for the agriculture and mining activities in the region. It was located at the foot of the 200-foot tall Valmont butte, near the confluence of the South and North Boulder creeks, and on the Boulder Valley branch of the Union Pacific railway. The first school was built in 1869. The one standing today opened in 1911. Historic Boulder, in collaboration with the Boulder County Historic preservation office, is advising the owners of the property to stabilize this deteriorating building. Assistance is being given to get quotes to replace the roof as a first step. Historic Boulder has also explained the protocol to apply for grant funds to defray the costs of the repairs.