The beautiful house at 1709 Pine Street was built in 1890 for Richard Whiteley, local attorney and state senator. It was dubbed “the Poplars,” by the Whitely family. It was later owned by Whiteley’s sister & brother-in-law, Hortense & Fred Hellems. Hortense was on the faculty of the State Preparatory School, and Fred was Dean of the College of Liberal Arts. Plaster cherubs and garlands adorn the walls and ceiling of the original dining room.
Fast forward to 1978 when Historic Boulder purchased the house in an unusual “one-hour” transaction, placing restrictive covenants on both the interior and exterior of the building before it was sold. It became the 19th individual landmark in the City in August of that year.